Monday, November 2, 2009

Betty


It's the best show on TV right now. Seriously. I don't know if I tune in each week because of the captivating storylines or the fabulous historical fashions. I'm talking about Mad Men of course. And my favorite character on the show: Betty Draper played by 31 year old actress, January Jones. Her facade is so painfully perfect and impeccable that it's almost a relief that we are privileged to see any detectable flaws in her character. That's why I loved a resent episode entitled "Souvenir" (S3E8) where Betty accompanies Don on a business trip to Italy. While left to her own devices, Betty goes all out. She exchanges her "happy homemaker" coiffure for a haute-couture-Italian-do and wears a sophisticated mod black dress instead of her normal suburban pedal pushers and petticoat skirts. She speaks coquettish Italian as she sits in a outdoor cafe flirting with the ragazzi (until Don steps in to spoil the fun). She also wears these fabulous drop pearl earrings that I just had to recreate. Although here, I used turquoise (turquoise is the new pearl). I also tried to be poetic in my choice of turquoise bead to really caputre the essence of why I love Betty so much: the turquoise is flat (instead of a sphere) to represent how Betty and the women of her era are so often undersestimated. There are also cracks and fissures in the surface to represent how Betty's perfection is so tenuously held together...but more beautifuly fascinating becasue of this tension.

No comments:

Post a Comment